Sunday, March 13, 2011

An Interview with Pace

Michael Stratton works for The College of St. Rose in Albany New York. He was granted a six-month leave of absence to fulfill a longtime dream. He got the trail name "Pace" while he hiked the Long Trail in Vermont. It is short for Pacemaker. It is not because he sets the pace when he hikes but because he has a pacemaker installed to keep his heart beating regularly. With a recent "tune-up" he should be good to go for this amazing hike.

What inspired you to hike the Appalachian Trail?
  • When I was a kid, my parents took me hiking near the Delaware Water Gap. On the trail we met two girls that were thru-hiking the A.T. I asked them what was their favorite dessert was on the trail. They showed me small peppermint candies. That stuck with me. It is all about keeping the pack weight down they said. I was hooked and wanted to hike the trail too.

You have a birthday in May, isn't that right?
  • Yes, I will turn 40. What a cool way to celebrate life.
So how is Pace getting ready for his hike? 
  • I have been jogging Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays and usually run about 4 miles. I have also have been snowshoeing, taking the stairs instead of elevators, stretching and strengthening my legs and knees. Porter and I have also taken training walks of up to 20 miles in a day.
What else have you been doing pre-trip?
  • Recently I visited the 4th grade at East Greenbush Red Mill Elementary School. Mr. Goodwin's students asked lots of great questions. They wanted to know about the trail. They also wanted to know what I was going to eat and what kind of clothes I would wear. Another question is where I would go the bathroom. In the woods off the trail of course. (Leave no trace.)They were also concerned about what kind of animals I might encounter like bears and snakes.

 Is there anything else you have done to prepare?
  • Yes, I have carefully gone over what I'll be carrying in my backpack. I have a gear list that I put together and I weighed everything down to the ounce. It is important not to carry too much weight. But, it is also important to have all the necessities for safety.

Porter and Pace show how light their packs are. Porter uses 1 finger.

Porter's little Yorkie Scout watches Pace check out his gear. Scout wishes he could go on the hike too.

2 comments:

  1. I am so envious that you are getting to have this opportunity. I've always wanted to hike the Trail but, as you know, my life isn't in a place to do that. I can't wait to hear about every piece of your trip when you get back. Be safe! - Heather Eddings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to be following your adventure, a vicarious trip for me. I'm thrilled you have this opportunity! Warm regards, Sue(aka Hmiel)

    ReplyDelete

If you aren't registered on this blog, please be sure to leave your first name when you leave a comment. Thanks!